Schoolgirl dies after drinking from Lucozade bottle laced with party drug MDMA

A 13-year-old school girl died after drinking from a Lucozade bottle laced with “extremely high levels” of MDMA, an inquest heard.

Eboney Cheshire tragically died after suffering from a seizure after she had ingested the party drug on Dec 2, 2018.

Bootle’s Coroner’s Court heard how Eboney was rushed to Whiston Hospital just before midnight after her mum Kerry Williams saw her seizing in her bed.

She had initially thought that she had suffered the seizure due to her fever as she had been suffering from “cold-like symptoms” in the days prior to her passing.

Tragically, despite the medics’ best efforts to save her life, Eboney died at 1.09am and doctors established that her death was drug-induced.

The cause of death was found to be “MDMA ecstasy toxicity”.

The court heard how there was no evidence other than that Eboney had “taken the ecstasy herself”.

During the police investigation, officers had found residue from powdered MDMA in a Lucozade bottle Eboney had been drinking from.

Senior coroner for Sefton, Knowsley and St Helens Julie Goulding said: “The conclusion is that of a drug-related death.

“The police investigation has concluded and no arrests have been made for the supply of drugs. There was no evidence other than Eboney had taken the ecstasy herself.”

During the hearing, Eboney’s mum Kerry and granddad Peter Williams said they disagreed with this finding and criticised the police investigation following Eboney’s death.

On the first anniversary of Eboney’s passing last year, an appeal was made over a line of enquiry after a neighbour had seen Eboney with another girl in Sandon Close hours before her death.

Coroner Ms Goulding added: “Should there be fresh evidence the police will look at the fresh evidence.

“I have to make my findings on the balance of probability, the medical findings and that the police investigation has concluded.

“My conclusion is that of a drug-related death.”

Coroner’s officer Oliver Knaggs told the court how “extremely high levels” of MDMA were found in the girl’s system following a post-mortem.

He said: “The family retired to bed and her mum was woken by a noise in Eboney’s room. On entering she saw Eboney in her bed having a seizure.

“Ambulance were called and it was believed she was suffering from a seizure due to drugs.”

He added: “At 11.38pm Merseyside Police received a call from a neighbour that she was fitting and may have taken some drugs.”

In a written tribute to Eboney following her death, mum Kerry had said: “You are my best friend, so funny, full of character and so popular. I’m broken without you and our lives will never, ever be the same.

“My baby girl, I love you more than life itself and your brother is heartbroken.

“Fly, my beautiful princess. Your mummy is heartbroken. I hope you realise how much I love you and how I would have swapped places with you in a heartbeat.

“I begged them baby girl, but they wouldn’t let me.”